Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Internship

This has been the busiest week of my life, I think.

I am now an intern at a new magazine here in Charlotte. It is going to be free magazine, that is funded through ads. I will be writing the food, wine, and music columns. It is an unpaid internship for twelve weeks, and then she hopes to hire a few writers. I am not exited about that part, but I need the experience to get a writing job. I am excited about it.

The interview process was much easier than I anticipated. I have interviewed for many jobs in the restaurant and bar industry, but that is about it. In the service industry, it matters so much what you look like, and where you have worked. What was really nice about an interview for a writing is that my portfolio stands on its own now. My writing speaks for itself, and I have a pretty solid portfolio, with various excellent work. It did not matter if I was dressed in a jacket and pants or a suit or skirt, or if I was a little chunky, or that I had big bottomed black boots on...my writing says enough. That was a good feeling. Now, I am sure if I had gone in there in tattered clothes, my writing may not have gotten me the job. But, it was nice not to stress out about those minor details this time.

The editor actually called me last night at 10pm. She gave me the final go on 3 articles, and then she said she wanted them by 630pm on Thursday!!! First draft, anyway. Wow, that is a short deadline! I hope they are not all like that. She assured me they are not. So, it is off to research these things, and get writing.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to the magazine - they are lucky to get you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog for quite some time and I have to say that it is so wonderful to watch God bless you in so many ways! Congratulations on your internship, you've earned it!!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete