Friday, March 26, 2010

The Novelty

I remember
When heroin
Was new...
And exciting.

The danger
Evident
Lurking just
Around the corner.
We were
Defying
The odds.
We were
Just
Checking it out.
Feels good.
To be
So naughty.

My heart
Quickening pace
Fluttering
With excitement
As I opened
The tiny
Little foil.

Sneaking
A taste
Too early
In the day.
Sneaking
Around the corner
From work
To score.
Sneaking
A little more
Always an excuse
To do more dope.

Tingling
Excitement
Tingling
Throughout
My whole body.
Anticipation.
We are all
In on the game.

The tingle
Eventually
Fades
and you are left
Only
In withdrawal.
In pain
With suffering
Oh, and
Did I mention,
Temporary insanity?
Vomiting
And diarrhea?
Chills
And restlessness?
Shivering
As you lie awake
For days on end?

My heart
Quickening
Because
I have a murmur now.

No comments:

Post a Comment